Welcome to Naro Moru River Lodge
On the slopes of Africa’s second highest mountain sits a perfect and most serene mountain climbing and vacation establishment, of rustic cabins and cottages that reflect nature and unrivalled hospitality.
Naro Moru Rive Lodge is an austere cabin residence just south of the equator, in the heart of a small market town about 150 kilometers (93 mi) north-northeast of Kenya’s capital Nairobi. This breathtaking mountain lodge is a quiet locale to have fun, be with family and friends, with easy access to Mt Kenya’s peaks for climbing, hiking or trekking, biking, and bird watching.
Come vacation with us in the heart of giant lobelia and primeval forest.
If it’s nature you’re after then Naro Moru River Lodge provides it, standing above a gorge through which flows the Naro Moru River , home to brown and rainbow trout that guarantee any fly fisherman fun and excitement. Set in lavish rolling gardens, the lodge features numerous ancient trees and flowering shrubs all clearly labeled for the avid naturalist and tree lover.
Our 133 bed facility provides spacious accommodation for any kind of vacationer or East Africa traveler in adobe bunk houses, log cabins, cottages and country style rooms.
Throughout your stay enjoy home cooked meals, hot baths and showers, warm fireplaces, private terraces and balconies overlooking stunning vistas.
Let’s not forget our swimming pool, tennis courts, squash court, pool tables, sauna, horse riding, bird watching, bars, restaurants and lounges, and a fully equipped mountain store, all in one location.
Go on, make your booking today and begin to explore the magic of Mount Kenya.
Established in 1949, Naro Moru Rive Lodge is a log cabin residence just south of the equator, in the heart of a small market town about 150 kilometers (93 miles) north-northeast of Kenya’s capital, Nairobi. We boast one of the finest mountain climbing facilities south of the Equator offering unique holiday and recreational activities that promise to be fun, friendly and unforgettable.
Our brand is built around our core values as shared by our tagline: “Natural, Hospitable”. These values tie in with our mission and vision, our core values and principles. We seek to become the leading mountain climbing & leisure lodge in East Africa and retain and consolidate our position as one of the top ornithological sites in Kenya. We aim to do this in line with innovation and excellence in the delivery of our services to our diverse traveller clientele.
Naro Moru River Lodge strives to be the preferred provider of hospitality services that exceed customer expectations. The Company seeks to do so while improving the living standards of its employees and the local community. The Company will ensure optimum shareholders return and security of their investment, whilst contributing to environmental conservation.
To continue evolving within the local and international hospitality industry through nurturing our core values which are driven by the personality of our people while delivering a sustainable and efficient service with passion to our customers.
• Natural – we pride in our natural location and so continue to nurture and care for and maintain the lodge’s environs.
• Hospitable – our persona reflects comfort and warmth, our people striving constantly to make you feel at home
• Excellence – with energy and efficiency we strive to maintain unmatched standards at the lodge
• Reputation – we value our reputation and seek to provide consistent, reliable and trustworthy services
• Loyalty – our loyalty is to our customers who remain our number one priority
Your Journey To Mt. Kenya Begins Here…
A famous base for climbing Mount Kenya, the Naro Moru River Lodge is renowned for offering a challenging and exciting mountain climbing route, the Naro Moru Route. We have provided mountaineering services since 1968, when the first tented camp was put up in Teleki Valley for Naro Moru clients. With our experienced English-speaking mountain guides on hand to help you up the mountain, your climbing safari is guaranteed to be unforgettable.
Apart from mountain climbing we also offer:
- Austere Log Accommodation: Our 133 bed facility provides spacious and affordable accommodation for any kind of vacationer or East Africa traveller, in adobe bunk houses, log cabins, cottages and country style rooms.
Scenic Bird Watching & Nature Trails: If it’s nature you’re after then Naro Moru River Lodge provides it. We are home to the top ornithological site in Kenya. We pride in our thrilling bird watching safaris and nature trails that will see you eye many of the 80 plus bird species living in and around the lodge’s vicinity. Expect to experience so much more of Mother Nature beyond the lodge’s confines on foot or while cycling through untamed forest.
- Thrilling Game drives & Excursions: Experience world class game drives at the most famous conservancies in Kenya while lodging with us.
- Warm Dining & Riverside Barbeques: The winding Naro Moru River that encircles the lodge provides a natural and tranquil backdrop for visitors looking to enjoy a sumptuous dinner or barbeque out in our riverfront gardens. A professional and friendly wait staff will add to the soothing sounds of the river as you appreciate a hot meal, be it indoors or outdoors.
- Professional Business Conferencing: We manage different conferencing events and cater for groups of up to 150 people. We provide an extensive range of equipment for all your meetings including business support facilities (free Wi-Fi and high speed Internet). We also offer custom team building activities for corporates, schools and colleges.
- Beautiful Wedding Grounds: We have lush tropical gardens suitable as weddings grounds and offering a most tranquil setting for honeymooners. We also provide banqueting services for private gala functions, dinners and parties.
- Indoor & Outdoor Sporting Activities: such as swimming, mountain climbing, rock climbing and hiking. We also have onsite a squash court, and a lawn tennis court.
- Standard Rooms: we have 12 standard rooms featuring accommodation in twins with showers.
- Superior rooms: more spacious than the standard rooms, these feature accommodation in twins, triple and double beds. They come with a fireplace and inter-connecting rooms ideal for families. 12 rooms are available in this category.
- Deluxe Rooms: feature both shower and bathtubs for utmost luxury. They also have a balcony, fireplace and an impressive view of Mt. Kenya. This category comprises of 14 rooms.
Self Service Cottages
Service Cottages: these self-catering cottages are ensuite and come with a fully equipped kitchenette and a refrigerator.
5 cottages are available in this category:
For that regal feel you may want to vacation at Sendeyo cottage, the oldest building at the lodge, where you can enjoy rich colonial history. For honeymooners , spend a week at the Rutundu cottage and leave feeling like royalty.
Our 3 bedroom country homes are ideal for families and small parties requiring private venues. They come with a compound, equipped kitchenette and dining room.
|Country Home||Features||No. of Pax|
|Hohnel||Spacious with private bathrooms (ensuite)||7 Pax|
|Hausberg||One room ensuite and two rooms sharing a bathroom||7 Pax|
|Hobley||Two bathrooms shared||6 Pax|
|Gorges||Two bathrooms shared||6 Pax|
|Hinde||Two bathrooms shared||6 Pax|
Going Camping? Our campsite – usually very popular with institutions and traveling groups – is a change from the norm. The site has an outdoor kitchen and electrical hook-up facilities. It also has a campers’ shower and toilet block with solar hot water supply, a washing up area, laundry facilities and ironing equipment.
Bars and Restaurants
It is of utmost importance to us that our guests enjoy their meals.
Visit our on-site restaurants and select from a superb a la carte and buffet menu. Passing by and looking for a quick stop over breakfast, lunch or dinner? Sample delectable continental and local cuisine packaged in buffet lunches and garden barbeques.
Kirinyaga Restaurant – this restaurant seats up to 50 guests at time. Named after Mount Kenya, it is the oldest restaurant at the lodge. Sample some of our best wines here as you enjoy your meals.
- Breakfast: 7.00am – 10.00am
- Lunch: 12.30pm – 2.30pm
- Dinner: Adults: 7.30 pm – 9.30 pm – Children: 6.00 pm – 7.00 pm
Nellion Restaurant – Nellion seats next to the lodges poolside. Relax on decked out chairs by the pool with a cocktail in hand or enjoy quiet lunches and local music wafting from the Batian bar.
- A la carte snacks: 11.00am – 6.00pm
- Table d’hôte or Buffet Lunch: 12.30pm – 2.30pm (depending on numbers)
- Dinner: Adults: 7.30 pm – 9.30 pm
Point Lenana bar – Open from 8. 00am – 11.00pm.
Right next to the Kirinyanga restaurant, this bar named after one of Mt Kenya’s peaks allows you to cool down after a trek in the mountain. It also sports hundreds of worn t-shirts, some over several decades old, hanging off the restaurant ceiling, evidence of past climbers who’ve passed through the lodge. Want to post a lasting memory? Don’t forget to visit this bar. Serves both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
Batian Bar – Open from 9. 00am – 6.00pm.
With a great view of Mt Kenya, Batian is located right next to the poolside. Serves both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
NB: Room service is available from 7.00am – 11.00pm, daily.
Naro Moru River Lodge
Naro Moru, Kenya